Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Miracle Miles for Kids

A couple weekends ago (I have fallen behind on blogs, yet again) as a family we participated in the Miracle Miles for Kids 10K. The race started at Morro Rock in Morro Bay, and ended at the Cayucos Pier. Yep, 6.2 miles along the beautiful coastline!

Well, it wasn't all pretty. It was rough at times with loose sand, water, wind, rocks and cliffs to navigate over (with a 23 pound snoozing baby in a jogging stroller!)

The race itself was delayed close to 30 minutes to allow extra time for people stuck in the traffic getting there, and we were stuck in line to get our bibs for about that long! We started 20 minutes after the delayed start! It was kind of a relief to miss the initial crowds though. We had a good start- the sand was firm, weather was perfect, Russell was pushing the stroller, and Sienna was happily snacking.

Then there was a small stream to pass and I was not very happy to have wet socks and shoes that early on! Then the wind picked up, and we were of course running against it! But Sienna took a long siesta, and we trekked on, until the first huge obstacle- a rocky cliff, that bottled-necked into a single file line from 2 areas. It took forever to get through! Luckily it was just wide enough to push the stroller across and we got back to running after the delay. Then the sand got softer and looser, and rockier and there were a few more hurdles that we had to now carry the stroller over. I figure we can take atleast 15 minutes off our time for all the time waiting to cross and climb, right? :) Come to find out, they weren't expecting the tide to be in so high, with the late start, usually the course is much better.

But we made it! And hope to make it a yearly event! It was for a great cause- kids and families in need!

At the Starting Line

Just getting going...

Climbing the first cliff

At this point, I was wishing we could trade spots

Let us through!

About half way through


WE MADE IT! 6.2 miles later. The rock was the starting point!

*TEAM IN TRAINING UPDATE!
This race was actually a planned event for my team, and a "break" in our training program, since it was lower miles than we had been running (We did 8 the Sat before). Break? Haha! My muscles hurt in all new ways! My half marathon is quickly approaching- just over a month away!! The miles are really adding on now! It has been very challenging to keep up, with life being so busy (the big birthday, being sick, now awful allergies, rainy weather, weekend trips). Usually, any one of those excuses would be a reason for me to completely stop my past workout routines. But I am determined, and if I miss a run or two, I know I will be ok. I am confident that although I am slow, I will finish those 13.1 miles! Slow and steady wins the race, right? And I like to think about how excited Griffin and my mom would be to see me cross that finish line.
Fundraising has also been hard, but I am very close to being at the fundraising minimum of $2500. But of course I would love to pass that! Please consider donating to an amazing cause, in the memory of my nephew Griffin's fight against the bad guys!


http://pages.teamintraining.org/los/rnr10/rmolina69g

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker