Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Baby Story Part 2

Ok, here we go for the rest of it!!

So we were told to go home, that it wasn't real labor. We were a bit disappointed, we hoped it would be the day. As soon as I stood up out of the hospital bed I felt a gush, my water had broken! (5:00 pm) We called the nurse in and she told us that we weren't going anywhere! This was a crazy feeling, knowing that it was really going to be happening now! No matter what she would be here with us within 24 hours (give or take). So we made all the phone calls, and got ready for the night. Sara and Mark were on their way up from LA. Our nurse let us know that she wouldn't expect anything drastic to happen that night. They would let nature take its course and see how I progress. I was checked at 2 cm.

We started walking the halls! We did several laps before taking a break, the contractions were coming stronger every 3 minutes or so, but they were bearable. Russell and I "slow danced" through them in the halls. He was such an amazing coach through all of this, I really don't know how I would have made it without him. In the next set of laps, the contractions were much more painful, doubling up on eachother with very limited time in between. Walking was a bit too much... more time passed and they kept on intensifying, I could hardly stand. At some point I was checked again, but our nurse couldn't tell how far I was, said I was the same or all the way (I know, this is a WHOLE other story, she was awful!). I knew I wanted an eppidural, it seemed early but pain relief sounded fabulous and I figured I HAD to be further along with the way these contractions were coming. Oh I forgot to mention my doctor was out of town for the next 2 days! Of course, right? So the on call doctor said it didn't matter how far along I was, to give me an eppidural. So the anesthesiologist comes about 30 min later. It took 4 tries to get it in! (Yes I was a human pin cushion at this point, forgot to mention the nurse took 3 tries for my IV). But pain relief came! It was wonderful.

We got some sleep, as much as you can. The next morning we had a new nurse!! She checked me and I was still at 2 cm! Are you serious? The eppidural had slowed down everything! I knew this was a risk of getting it so early, but couldn't believe it! So our new on call doctor ordered pitocin. It was really disappointing to know that even though I was pain free, it had been several hours with no progress. So I was relieved to have pitocin get things moving along... I have heard how awful this makes labor and contractions, but I wouldn't be able to feel anything, right?

The next few hours were fine. I don't remember how far I was dilated at this point, had made a bit of progress... I really have no concept of time after this... I started getting really hot and uncomfortable. Then at some point I started feeling the pressure. It got stronger and stronger. The nurse assured me this was good news, that the baby's head was coming down. Then the pain started! I was feeling the contractions more and more. Once the pain was completely unbearable, the nurse checked and it seemed my eppidural had come out! (another risk of having one for so long). So they ordered another eppidural, I could hardly wait for it to get there, the pain was so intense. Russell helped me breathe through it, I probably almost broke some fingers by the end (he had to keep rotating the fingers he would give me). The next anesthesiologist came in, tried to put in the eppidural a couple times, and just couldn't get it. He finally said he didn't feel comfortable trying any more, that he couldn't have that risk. (yeah not sure if its bad luck or what is wrong with my back, because both drs have been doing this for 20 plus years). I know people gave birth for ages without any drugs, but that thought to be was so incredibly overwhelming, I panicked and cried, didn't know how I could deal with this pain for hours longer. Russell assured me we would just do it.

The rest is a blur. I was put on staydol (not sure spelling) to "take the edge off." I became so completely loopy, felt wasted drunk. I would pass out in between contractions then be jolted awake in severe pain. Russell was right there with me. The contractions were right on top of eachother. At some point I was measured at 6 or 7 and that was as far as I made it. The nurse could feel the babies head, said there was a knot on it, she was trying hard to come down. The doctor wanted to keep giving me more time to progress (she thought the baby was only 7 lbs, haha). Some how I endured a few hours of this. (Issues with the doctor and how she made us feel is another story!) Then finally, the doctor told us that a c-section would be the best route as I was not progressing. This was a relief! They wheeled me into the OR, gave me a spinal (now absolutely NO pain) and Russell came in to be right there. About 5 minutes later, Sienna was out and crying!! It was so amazing to finally hear that! (8:24 pm) And she was so incredibly beautiful and perfect in everyway! The feeling of love and pure happiness is indescribable.

It was so nice to have my twin and Russell's parents (Lolly and Pop) there for her birth. We were in the hospital for 2 more days. We had lots of visitors and learned the basics of taking care of our new one, and breastfeeding. My recovery was a bit rough at first, but really not as bad as I thought. And a week later I was good to go. Russell took care of all diapers and burping, etc. I always knew he would be a great father, but I couldn't even imagine how amazing he is. Sienna is a lucky girl to have him as a daddy! On our drive home, I just felt like this was meant to be, what our life was for, that we had been waiting for this, I was so happy to have our family. And I couldn't get over how perfect she is!! (still can't!)

Her birth stats:
Born March 23, 2009 8:24 pm
8 lbs 13 oz, 21.5 inches long

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker