Sunday, February 7, 2010

Flying Solo

Last week, I went to Sacramento for work... without my baby girl...from 6:30 am Tues unil 3:00 pm Thurs. That was a tough goodbye! I knew I would have to do this some time, and I knew she would be fine, but still.

I attended the Unified Wine and Grape Symposium, a huge convention/trade show for the industry. Huge as in 11,000 people were supposed to be there. It was definitely a neat experience, I learned a lot and had quite a bit of fun as well! There was several of us from our company there and it was fun to be away from work! And I would hope people working in an industry of booze, would enjoy themselves and know how to have a good time (we all did).

After the 4 or so hour drive in the rain with my two bosses, we settled in. I had to wait for a room because there were no king beds available yet, and you bet I wanted one! I stayed at the Hyatt which was incredible of course, and also where some events were held and across the street from the convention center where everything else was at. The Hyatt is also across from the state capital building, and where our governator lives... I think he was out of town. And the lobby bar was quite the happening place in the afternoons and evenings.

There were some talks and sessions that afternoon, then after some drinks, a few of us headed to a dinner for one of our chemical vendors. It was the best meal I have had in quite some time, at a really nice, well known Italian restaurant. It consisted of prosecco (I really don't ever want champagne again), amazing wines, rigatoni with lamb sausage, a ribeye steak, gelato, and grappa... and some more incredible wine... A couple drinks later, I called it a night. It was such a weird feeling to be away and alone. I am always there for Sienna's bedtime, and not being there for that really sunk in. But I did sleep pretty soundly once i got to sleep, and the bed was super comfy.

The next morning we went to a big talk about the state of the industry which was both interesting and depressing (an economy guy spoke first, and that was real gloomy) but the wine and grape guys seemed a little more promising. People are still drinking wine so that's good. After lunch, I walked around the tradeshow, which was really overwhelming. it was just huge! SO much stuff to look at and take in from every aspect of the wine biz. There was everything from enormous tractors, vineyard supplies, tanks, crushers, bottling lines, glass, cork, label vendors, analytical services, software, marketing, etc. etc. I stopped to chat with some of the vendors I know, drooled over some new fancy lab equip, but mostly just walked through and it still took me 2 1/2 hours!

Then since there was no afternoon talks that interested me, I wandered across to the state capital. I had never been to Sacramento, and figured I should check it out. The park was awesome, there is a tour of 50 state trees which was really pretty, and lots of walking paths. I roamed around the inside of the building and it it beautiful inside the dome! I also walked past Arnold's office, into the Senate Chambers, and historical areas. I don't follow or care about government stuff much, but it was still really neat to see...

That evening we went to a vendor sponsored happy hour event and then a big party thrown by one of our wine brokers. The theme was "Carnival de Rio" and there were Brazilian dancers, music, food, and lots of booze. The party was in this really old bank, such an amazing building with hand crafted ceilings and teller windows for the bar. It was lots of fun! Followed by more fun at the lobby bar! And yes, I still missed my baby (and hubby) and counted the hours until I returned. The next morning we drove back which seemed to take WAY too long.

I was so beyond happy to get home! Sienna was also so happy to see me! She kept giving me kisses and more kisses! So, mama's first trip away was hard but she had a great time! It helped knowing Sienna was with her Daddy, and grandparents. The next step is for both of us to leave, which will be VERY VERY hard, but we are looking to do it somewhat soon...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker